Featured Athlete of the Week–Sammy Leid
Hands together for this week’s athlete of the week Sammy Leid aka Slammy Leid. Sammy is one of those overall awesome people, and we are lucky enough to call her a friend and a member at CFE. She’s such a beast in the gym but has one of the kindest and purest souls out there, but don’t let that sweetness fool you; she will gladly compete next to you to push you to a level you never thought possible. She’s an encourager, an inspiration, and Coach Shaun’s wife. Thank you for bringing so much to our community, Sammy!!!!
1. How long have you been a member at CrossFit Ephrata? About 6 years
2. What class time(s) do you typically come to the gym? 5PM or 6PM
3. Why do you workout? I love to challenge myself, I love the feeling at the end of a hard workout, and I love the suffering in the middle of it.
4. What are your favorite things about CrossFit? My favorite things about Crossfit are: the community of people and the really good friends I have made through our gym, the fact that there is always something to learn or improve on, it will always hurt and never get old, and the adaptability of it to benefit people of all fitness levels.
5. What are your favorite movements or WODs? My favorite movements are chest to bar, toes to bar, double unders, burpees, and GHD sit-ups. I love long grunt-work WODs, chippers, and EMOM’s.
6. Least favorite movement or WODs? My least favorite movements are overhead, especially with dumbbells. My least favorite WODs are the ones that are 100% barbell, like DT.
7. If you were given $100,000 and you were only allowed to spend it on yourself, how would you spend the money? I would travel with my husband Shaun! We would go mountain biking and skiing out west, go to the motorcycle races he’s always wanted to see in Spain, the Isle of Man, etc. and explore Switzerland, Australia and New Zealand. And maybe I would try kite surfing!
8. What are some of your proudest accomplishments the gym? Qualifying for regionals last year with the Chu Crew, finally getting past a 135# snatch, and doing 20 unbroken strict pulls-ups (even though Tyler always says it was 7).
9. What are some of your proudest accomplishments out of the gym? Before Crossfit, running 3 marathons in one year. My first one was trail and I came in second female overall. In my second one, I was pretty close to qualifying for Boston. After Crossfit, hiking the Grand Canyon from rim to river to rim in one day. It was tough!
10. What are your favorite things to do or learn outside of the gym? I like to read, run and hike with Mika, ski, and mountain bike.
11. What do you do for a living? I am a Chemist at Eurofins Lancaster Labs. I lead a group of other chemists and we analyze pharmaceutical drug products.
12. What is something interesting about you that your gym friends would not know? I am a Sunday school teacher for 5th and 6th graders (along with Shaun) and a Bible study leader for 1st and 2nd graders. I also enjoy super cheesy girly movies and boy band music .
13. What is your favorite cheat meal? I have two: a chicken chimichanga from La Borimex or a cheeseburger and fries from Five Guys
14. What is your favorite healthy meal? Salmon, sweet potato, and asparagus
15. What piece of advice would you give your 15-year-old self? Be nicer to your step-dad. I got there, but not soon enough.
16. If you could program the perfect WOD, what would it be? I actually hate programming workouts. I will do whatever, but would rather somebody else figure it out. Give me a long grunt-work WOD and I’m a happy camper.
17. Leave us with a quote, joke, or inspirational message for the members at CrossFit. I am constantly reminding myself of Phillipians 2:3: Do nothing out of selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
2018 04 02