Sweet Potato Moussaka
60 g onion, diced
300 g eggplant, chopped into small cubes
450 g / 1 lb sweet potato boiled and mashed
450 g / 1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey; we used 93% lean
1 tbsp Greek spice blend (Or use a mix of whatever dried herbs you have in your pantry.)
1 large egg
200 g nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare an 8-inch square or circular baking pan or dish. You should not need to line or grease the pan for this moussaka recipe.
2. Prepare your vegetables and set aside.
3. Heat a large pan to high heat and add onion, eggplant and ground beef. Break up the ground beef with a wooden spoon and mix thoroughly. You’re only trying to brown the meat and break it up, so don’t worry about how cooked through it is. You’re going to put it in the oven to finish off.
4. While the pan is simmering, in a separate bowl whisk the yogurt and egg together.
5. Then, take your prepared 8-inch pan and spread the sweet potato evenly to create a delicious base for your moussaka.
6. Next, remove the simmering pan of ground beef from the heat and strain. You want to remove all liquid from the mix to ensure that the moussaka is not soggy. Give your strainer a few shakes to make sure all the liquid is out.
7. Spoon the ground beef evenly over the potato and pat down gently.
8. Then add the yogurt mixture to the top, evenly spreading it to cover the surface. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes so the yogurt will set.
9. Use a spatula to cut into the moussaka and serve! It should hold together nicely. This moussaka can be kept in the fridge for leftovers and reheated! If you really want to be accurate with your macros then make each serving in single ramekins.
30g protein, 30g carbs, 9g fats, serves 4, 339 calories
2018 09 01